Tuesday, April 28, 2015

#pitmaster practice

Last weekend I was asked to help 'advise' on a BBQ my local congregation was doing as part of a membership drive. I say 'advise' because as soon as I heard they were using lighter fluid, I had to step in to protect BBQ for everyone ;-)

Before I left, to go to the synagogue to help, I threw some beef ribs on the Weber Smokey Mountain with some cherry and pecan wood to start cooking. 


I was initially asked to just get the BBQ started, as someone else would come and handle the grilling. However, as the BBQ started, and my relief not showing, I got into full #pitmaster mode.

As the chimneys were going in the corner, it also turned into a massive BBQ clinic as people asked many questions about direct versus indirect heat, charcoal versus propane, and using a chimney versus using lighter fluid. There were even questions on what is the best way to grill a hot dog and a hamburger.




When all was said and done, I had grilled 170 hamburgers and 300 hot dogs for over 200 people using 3 grills and close to 50 pounds of Kingsford Charcoal.

When I came home 3 hours later, my ribs were ready to be wrapped and sauced and the chicken was ready to go on to smoke for the next 2.5 hours.


As the sun, began to set and my daughter's were showered and ready for bed, this Sunday BBQ was ready to go with a cold beer.


I learned something interesting that night, that when you are the pitmaster manning 3 grills, you really don't stop to eat. You are there to BBQ and server, but when you come later that night, you will be starving!!! Thankfully I had a little BBQ at home to take care of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment